Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Why We're All Insomniacs

I was having lunch with my Uncle Rob three weeks ago, and while he was picking at his salad he mentioned to me that since he was very young, almost as long as he can remember, he's had trouble sleeping. This was alarming to me because I realized that my own insomnia was genetic, and not the unfortunate by-product of stress, drugs, work, school, or excess accrued sympathy.
Since then, I've encountered an abundance of kindred sleep-deprived spirits, each with their own languid tale of midnight contortions, early-morning anxiety, and mattress restlessness.
I don't really know where I'm going with this, but on some non-written level I'm curious as to why so many young people--and people of all ages, as well--have so much trouble sleeping. Consider that most people crave sleep during the day, and it is only more mysterious that nobody can get any at night.
So here's to all of us, blogging and engaging our overworked minds when we should be sleeping. If anyone figures out sleep disorders, please respond to this. Or, if someone wants to take shots of johnnie blue and wake up with "balls" and "titeater" written on your forehead, give me a shout.

Stay classy san diego,
DJ Blogger

No comments: